No more passwords? For real?


FIDO.  What does it mean?  What does it stand for?  Well, not your dog's name, so eliminate that one.  FIDO  [Fast Identity Online] refers to the Fido Alliance, a group that, 10 years in the making, claims to have found 'the' way to do secure internet authentication without the use of passwords.

Now if you're like me, I have so many accounts I have to log in to, that I need a written list of all the different passwords required.  Sure, Google remembers most of them, and the Remember Me on most sites works most of the time, but every now and then, for who knows why, I have to revert to the list to get where I want to to go.  Kind of like having a GPS, but keeping a map in the console just in case.

Anyway, if we're talking about a brave new world that always, always, remembers who I am when I get to the log-in screen, I'm all for it.  I mean, how can you not be, right?  You have to like it, and the people involved [it's a collaborating effort] are developers that work for companies like Intel, Qualcomm, Amazon, Meta, American Express, Bank of America, Google, Microsoft, and Apple, and if they think they've got it right, then there's a pretty good chance that they've got it right.

For more particulars, check out the article at Wired, or go right to FidoAllianc.org .

#password #security #internet #fido


PS - If you like The Lowdown Dispatch, please share it using the icons below - Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment